"We can’t predict all the struggles and storms in life, not even the ones just around the next corner, but as persons of faith and hope, we know beyond the shadow of any doubt that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true and the best is yet to come." - L. Tom Perry

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Heidi Story

I love the age 4. Yesterday, out of the blue, Heidi asked me where her and her babies were going to live when she grew up. She went on to explain to me that there was not room for them in this house, just not enough rooms. I explained to her that when she grew up and had babies of her own she would live in her own house. She began to cry and said she didn't want to be alone. I told her she wouldn't, that she would be married to someone like her dad, and they would be a family. She cried even louder and said that she would miss me, and dad, and the kids (the kids are Porter, Bryant, and Meagan-she calls them "the kids"). Nothing I said during the 10 plus minutes that followed, as I tried to reason with a 4 year old, helped her. She was sobbing, uncontrollably. Then Phil called from work, just to see how our day was going. I explained this whole thing to him, and he simply said "tell her that we will just have to buy a bigger home where there would be room for her, her husband, and her babies." Wow, I don't know why I didn't think to just lie to her, but it worked. She immediately stopped crying and started to talk about how we need to just build more rooms on to this house. That dad could get started on that right away, and she could help him build it all in our back yard. And then we could build more houses, next to this one, for "the kids" to live when they have babies. She was so happy. It now all made perfect sense to her. Lesson #1 learned, never try to reason with a 4 year old. Lesson #2, sometimes a little lie is the prefect solution, haha.

4 comments:

Idaho Penningtons said...

I have found rule two to work even now on my married child - I use it often and a lot! I don't think of it so much as lying put as using my imagination!!! hehehehehe

Brenna said...

This is so cute. Hard to imagine a day that she'll actually want to move out. :(
~Christine

Kyle and Sarah said...

I find myself in the same situations everyday with Jenna! Glad to know that I am not the only mom to smooth things over the same way.

Tina ♥ said...

What a cute story. Kids had the sweetest little minds. I love it.